Friday, May 30, 2008

Flower Power

What began as a simple desire to have a few flowers to spruce up my porch, turned into a full-blown compound project. Everybody had their hands in the dirt…except for me. I was told in no uncertain terms that my hands were “too soft” and “dirt is dirty”. I eventually convinced them that I had indeed touched dirt before and was more than capable of planting a few seeds! We cleaned old plastic paint cans, used hot nails to melt drainage holes into the bottoms, scoured the area outside the compound for manure, and finally planted seeds of my favorite flower…zinnias.

I was a bit worried that the seeds wouldn’t grow and I would have a compound full of disappointed people, but my worry was unfounded. We had so many flowers that I decided to use some of them as a way to meet and greet my neighbors. Or at least that was my intention until Aselef found out. Her response to my idea, ”No…farenji flowers expensive…we keep.”

So…we have kept ALL the flowers. Our compound is a riot of colors…pinks, oranges, yellows, reds. I still fully intend on using the flowers as a means of meeting my neighbors, but now I will just have to take bouquets. There is always more than one way to skin a cat!