Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lions, and Rhinos and Giraffes…oh my!

On safari in Africa…life list item # 248…CHECK! I never dreamed that I would be able to take in a safari while on medivac!!! I found a brochure in the guesthouse that described one-day trips in and around Pretoria. The price seemed reasonable, the website was decent, and when I called, the gentleman was very friendly and seemed like he knew what he was doing. So…I booked it and crossed my fingers that I had chosen well.

On the day of my long awaited for safari, I awoke to a thunderstorm. Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love thunderstorms…but was less than thrilled with one on this day. At 8:15am a driver picked me up to shuttle me to the rendezvous point where we joined up with the tour guide and the rest of the group. When you randomly join a group as a solo traveler you never know what to expect, but I was not disappointed. The other 3 women were very welcoming. They were Americans (from Arkansas) working with the NGO--Heifer International. One woman was even a former PC Volunteer. What a small world!

By the time we arrived at Pilanesburg National Park the rain had stopped. The sun stayed hidden, which actually turned out to be the ideal condition for scanning the horizon for wildlife. Within minutes into the park we spotted warthog, 2 large male elephants, a family of hippos, a small herd of zebra, and one lone turtle…methodically making his way across the road. It was so hard to REMAIN IN THE VEHICLE as I desperately wanted to get the perfect photos. My little point and shoot wasn’t quite up to the task (which means I can justify another safari when I have my nice camera!). It is truly amazing to see these creatures roaming free in their natural habitat.

After lunch, we briefly left Pilanesburg for a short trip to a nearby lion park. I’m not sure I understand the full purpose behind these parks, but I believe it has something to do with breeding lions for private game reserves and zoos. Since the big cats were elusive in the national park, it was neat to be able to see them up close and personal here. In fact, we actually got to PLAY with 5 lion cubs. In the States, this would never happen, as it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. These 40+ pound cuties aren’t de-clawed or de-toothed and they play hard. Fortunately most of the time the roughhousing is amongst themselves, but you definitely had to stay on your toes. I interacted with the cubs and took a ton of photos, but I didn’t press my luck. I don’t think PC would have been too pleased with me if I managed to get myself mauled by a lion while on medivac.

In the late afternoon we returned to Pilanesburg to continue our safari. I was excited to spot 6 rhino (it is unbelievable how massive these creatures are) as well as a small herd of giraffe. There is just something amazing about seeing these gangly creatures have room to truly stretch their legs as well as their necks to graze off the treetops rather than a man-made feeder on stilts.

Overall, it was a fabulous day. If a safari isn’t on your life list…add it. It’s an experience that you will never forget.



Look closely and you see a giraffe