Thursday, May 15, 2008

My Home Away from Home Away from Home

The Rose Guesthouse has truly become another home away from home—especially since I have lived here for almost a month. I had no idea what to expect with regards to accommodations, but I can definitely say it wasn’t this. This place is absolutely beautiful. It actually feels like a home and when you’ve just returned from having surgery a home is what you want…not a hotel room.

The grounds are beautiful. There are 2 pools (it’s a bit too nippy to be swimming at this time of year) and outside sitting areas with plush couches that are perfect for when you don’t have the energy to do anything, but yet can’t spend one more minute lying in bed.

Each morning breakfast is prepared by either Maria or Angie. For lunch and dinner we can either use the kitchen to prepare our own meals or head out to one of the many nearby restaurants. When dirty clothes pile up, the washer and dryer is free for us to use. I’ve come to the conclusion that this place is almost too nice, and I’m worried that I’m losing my “edge.”

The guesthouse is also in a great location. I am within walking distance of 2 shopping centers, complete with theatres, grocery stores, and restaurants. If I get bored with these 2 venues, I can walk ½ mile and pick up a combi-taxi (public transportation) that will take me to the super-sized mall for 2USD roundtrip. Can’t beat that!

And, you meet the most interesting people here, as the guesthouse isn’t just a place for the “walking wounded”. I’ve met a handful of people from the Brazilian Embassy and a South African man who has immigrated to Australia, but still owns and operates farms here in South Africa as well as in Botswana. I can say that until now I’ve never swapped “farm” stories with someone whose chief issue is ELEPHANTS! Crazy!



The Rose Guest House