Saturday, June 7, 2008

Like a Sore Thumb

It is such a unique experience living among a people group in which you are the one who is different…in every way. I hunger for anonymity, but here it is elusive. No matter how hard I try, I will never blend in. I truly stick out like a sore thumb.

Differences that go completely unnoticed in the States are instead cause for a lengthy and animated discussion…often a most hilarious one. I was riding public transportation awhile back, and found myself chatting with a group of 8 Ethiopian men. They were highly intrigued by me. Our dialogue (keep in mind…this was primarily in Amharic) went like this:

Ethiopian Man #1: “ Your eyes, heredity…no?”

Me: “Yes, I suppose so. But not everyone has green eyes in America like everyone has brown eyes in Ethiopia”

Ethiopian Man #2: “What is that?” [Pointing to my toe ring] “American culture?

Me: “It is a toe ring. I suppose you could say this is American culture…but not everyone wears one.”

Ethiopian Man #2: “Oh…well, it is very beautiful.

Ethiopian Man #3: “WHAT IS THAT?” [said with such incredulity while touching my arm]

Me: Hmmm…I have no idea how to explain FRECKLES. I’m not even sure there is an Amharic word for freckles. My response, ” It is special skin…heredity”

Ethiopian Man #4: “Your hair…may we touch?”

Me: [before I can respond, I feel 8 hands in my hair and a chorus of “it’s so soft!”]


I have to laugh about the “hair thing” as this has happened to me on more than one occasion. In fact, one evening I was sitting on the porch with the entire gang from the compound when Hapti asked if he could braid my hair. He then said something to Genet in Amharic. Knowing that the comment was about me, I insisted that he translate. With a bashful smirk, he responded with “I’ve been wanting an excuse to touch your hair.” Well…by all means, EVERYBODY else has!