Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Wonchii/Crater Lake Excursion














I have finally traveled outside of the place that I've been calling home! My world has become so small that I have ventured no farther than my feet can carry me for over 4 weeks. Isn't that crazy! The destination, Wonchii/Crater Lake, is approx 35km from our town and we finally reached it after traveling for 1.5 hours by bus. The road condition was rough, but tolerable. The dust, however, was horrendous. I rode in the back seat and when you peered out the back window there was ZERO visibility. I ended up wearing a bandana "bandit style" to help reduce the amount of dust that I was consuming. Yes, I looked ridiculous!!

Our journey took us to the top of the crater (at 10,000 feet) where we proceeded to hike 4km down to the water's edge (a relatively steep descent of over 1100 feet). Along the way we passed terraced fields of geb (wheat), wildflowers, charming thatched roof huts, all with a magnificent view of a deep, midnight blue lake. It is an absolutely stunning place! Once at the water's edge, we rested for a bit and then took tankua's (i.e. it would be generous to call it a canoe…more like a dug out tree) to an island complete with a monastery and a few very plump and happy cows. I don't think my tankua guide was too pleased with me as I almost capsized our craft while trying to snap a "postcard perfect" shot. One would think that I had never been in a "dug out tree" before!

My ascent out of the crater was on horseback. I had intended on walking out, but my lungs and friends convinced me otherwise....a wise choice considering it took us 1.5 hours to descend the slippery slope. The highlight of the ascent was riding up through the middle of a cattle and sheep drive. I was surrounded by no fewer than 100 sheep and cattle (they looked like Brahmas to me…big hump, bigger horns). The air was so thick with dust that you could have sliced it. At one point, curiosity got the best of me and I reached out to touch the hump of one the cows to determine if it was "fatty" or "bony" (I know you're dying to know the answer....it's fatty feeling). Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't one of my smartest moves as the cow could have easily swung its head and nailed me with a horn. I suspect, though, that it was just as weary from the climb as my poor horse!!

In addition to the natural beauty, we also had the opportunity to interact with the children of Wonchii/Crater Lake. Wouldn't it be amazing to call this place home?! When walking around town, we are generally greeted by children chanting in unison their favorite English phrase: "give me money." This was not the case today. As we hiked down to the lake, children would come racing out of their homes only to halt at the gate and shyly wave or call out "selam" (which means "Peace"). One little girl along the way, no older than 6 or 7, had already been given the responsibility of touting around her infant brother on her back! I also met one young boy who hiked alongside of me for the better part of 20 minutes eager to have the opportunity to practice his English. At my journey's end he gifted me with a rose and parted with a wave. These are the moments that make me eager to arrive at site and have the opportunity to build relationships and friendships that go beyond a shy wave or a 20-minute chat