Friday, November 2, 2007

Staying Healthy...or at least trying.

Peace Corps has been really good about doing everything within their power to keep each of us healthy. In reality this means immunizations, immunizations, and more immunizations! The shots began in Washington D.C and haven't stopped. I have received or will receive: rabies #1,#2,#3, yellow fever, MMR, polio, influenza, Hep A, Hep B series, Meningitis, Tetanus & Diptheria. WOW! They have this down to a science and often hit you from both sides.

I am also in a region of the world with a high incidence of malaria. I've learned that there are 4 types of plasmodium parasites that can be transferred by the Anopheles mosquito. Ethiopia has a high incidence of plasmodium falciparum, which can be the most dangerous of the four. Because of the risk, all volunteers have been placed on malarial prophylaxis. I happen to be taking a drug called Mefloquine and fortunately have not experienced any of the potential side effects. I'm hoping this continues to work for me as it only needs to be taken one time per week!

In addition to the medication, I take a variety of other precautions to help reduce my risk of malaria. I sleep under a promethrin treated net, wear long sleeves/long pants after 6pm, and use a repellent called "buzz off". I'm also always on the lookout for stray "beembeez" (Amharic for mosquito) in the house. My host family also has a heightened awareness of the malarial risk and generally gives me a "once-over" each morning to see if I've survived the night unscathed. One morning my mom was very concerned to find a "mosquito bite" on my cheek. It took quite a bit of effort to assure her that this was no mosquito bite, just a zit!