Friday, November 9, 2007

Hey Mr. Bale Gari

Today I feel on top of the world. Well at least on top of this small part of the world in which I am now residing. I've had an Amharic language breakthrough! Success at last. I was actually capable of stringing a miniature conversation together and not sounding like a 2 year old.

In language class today we practiced a dialogue related to transportation. We learned a few key phrases that in theory would enable us to ask for, barter with, and secure a ride on either a "feras gari" ( i.e. horse cart) or bejaj (i.e. motorized 3 wheeler with a bench seat). It's one thing to practice in a controlled environment with a teacher who is following a set dialogue and yet another to converse with a random "bale gari" (horse cart owner) who doesn't have the script.

So my friend Megan and I decided to pull out all the stops and secure ourselves a "feras gari". Here's how it went down (sans crib sheet):

Me: Bale Gari, Bale Gari!
(translation…hey cart owner, cart owner)

BG: Abet?
(yes?)

Me: Wode Technical college mehed ifeligalow. Wagow sint nouw?
(literal translation: to technical college to go I want. Price what is?)

BG: Arat birr
(4 birr)

Me: Arat birr?! Firenji wagow. Kenis. And birr wusedegn.
( 4 birr?! Foreigner price. Reduce it. Take me for 1 birr.)

BG: Ishee. Gibee. Betam turu amarigne astamarie nouw.
(Ok. Get in. Your Amharic teacher is very good.)

Like I said…on top of the world! It is an amazing feeling to be able to ask for something in this language and actually receive what you thought you were asking for! Although feras garis are as common and mundane as a New York City taxi, this is one ride that Megan and I won't soon forget. Learning Amharic can be very frustrating as it is so different and complex, which is why it is so nice to have moments such as this one that give us a glimpse that there is light at the end of the tunnel. We can learn this language!!