Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bye, Bye Burdie!

If there is one thing I can say about Peace Corps it is that the medical support is amazing. When we head out to site we are armed with a medical manual chock full of interesting tidbits about diseases that we hope never to contract and a kit full of medications, ointments and other paraphernalia to treat a host of ailments…both the mundane and the exotic. I remember when I first met our medical officer, Burdett (whom we affectionately call “Burdie”), I greeted her with a smile and a “you won’t hear much from me, I’m as healthy as a horse!” Little did I know that Burdett and I would get to know each other so well. When I woke in the middle of the night with what eventually proved to be my gallbladder acting up, she was the cheery voice on the other end of the line. She has been with us since the beginning…a voice of reason, an empathetic ear, and a heart of understanding. She encourages, she treats, she problem-solves, and most importantly she cares. As she prepares for her next journey, we prepare to survive without her. I’m not sure it is possible! Burdie…you will be greatly missed!

For whatever reason, a group of us all happened to be in Addis at the same time. A perfect time for an impromptu going away party for Burdett!

Burdie and Me.