Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cipro=New Best Friend

I truly have never been so sick, so frequently in all my life. My head loves Ethiopia, but my gut does not. What is crazy is that I am sooooo careful. I only drink purified or bottled water, I refuse food that is cold, I don’t eat raw veggies unless they’ve been soaked in a bleach solution, and I hand sanitize like there is no tomorrow. One would think that after 10 years of working in healthcare (hospitals to be specific), I would have built up some type of super-immunity. Instead I’m like Superman to kryptonite.

Fortunately I have found my miracle cure (as prescribed by my fabulous medical officers, of course!). It comes in the form of a little white pill, which I like to call my new best friend…otherwise known as Ciproflaxin, or Cipro. I now don’t go anywhere (even into town) without a 3-day course in my bag. But should I run out or accidentally leave it behind, all I have to do is stop into my friendly neighborhood pharmacy, ask for six 500mg tablets of Cipro (no prescription necessary) and shell out a whopping 45 cents. The lack of regulation on medications at the pharmacy is a bit frightening, but when I get hit by one of these bugs I’m glad Cipro is as easy to buy as candy.