Friday, May 8, 2009

Visiting Abi—Wednesday

Wednesday dawned bright and sunny, but my disposition was more on the overcast end of the spectrum. Even before arriving in Abi’s community I was dreading my departure. I have always hated “good-byes”, but I knew this would be one of the hardest.

Smith and I entered the gojo beyt for breakfast and discovered Abi hunched over a plate of injera, refusing to make eye contact with anyone. Addis and Souwnet tried to make excuses for him, but I knew better. He was trying to be a little man and keep the tears at bay, which only encouraged mine to start flowing. I picked at my 1-egg breakfast and tried to find the silver lining in what was proving to be a day chock full of clouds. But sometimes the silver lining is beyond our capability to see or determine. Instead we must just trust that it does in fact exist.

As I slung the backpack over my shoulder and headed down the hill, I allowed myself one last wave and glimpse of the kiddo who just happens to have stolen my heart.


Addis (Abi’s grandmother), Souwnet, Abi, and a cousin (on the far left)




Heading out.