Thursday, February 26, 2009

Time for Timkat

It seems like just yesterday that I participated in my first Timkat (Epiphany) celebration and yet here I am again. This year I attended with Aselef and her niece, Hannah. As the crowd of 4,000 strong processed along, it reminded me of a herd of wildebeests during the Great Migration. Elbow to elbow, shoulder to shoulder, blindly you proceed following the lead of the person in front of you. As an individual you don’t really care where you’re going, you just focus your energy on not being trampled or getting poked in the eye by a wayward umbrella. Unlike that of the wildebeests, our pace was a bit more sedate and there were no predators lingering on the sidelines patiently waiting for a straggler. Instead of an undulating river of wildebeest brown amidst a cloud of dust, we were a sea of white (all traditional Ethiopian clothes are white with a colorful trim) capped by a rainbow of umbrellas.

I don’t know if it was because I was wearing a skirt and hidden partially by my umbrella or because I’m now a Timkat veteran, but I drew very little attention. I truly felt like just one of the many. Although I still don’t fully understand the significance of the long, slow procession, the chanting and beating of drums, and the circling of the church, I do at least feel like I belong.

While I was celebrating locally, Smith (my sitemate) decided to make the pilgrimage to Gondar, which is the Mecca of Timkat celebrations. It would be safe to say that tens of thousands of Ethiopians made this trip along with her and although it would have been impressive to witness the events there, I am not envious of the chaos and crowds that she had negotiate. She was, however, able to capture some beautiful photos and graciously allowed me to share them with you. Enjoy.


DebreMarkos Church

Three young girls wearing traditional “Habesha Libs”

Everyone is encouraged to make a joyful noise

The streets of Gondar filled with crowds, chaos, and celebration

On the day of Timkat, worshippers gather at the Royal Pool where they are blessed and sprinkled with its holy water.

I just love the colors worn by the priests and the reflection cast by the pool.