Saturday, March 7, 2009

Culinary Delights…make that Frights!

Just when I thought I was done with edible surprises, I found myself faced with three new treats within the span of a week. Smith and I were sitting in my living room one afternoon when this very unusual (code word for FOUL) smell came wafting through the house. I realized at about the same time that Aselef had been pounding something with the mookacha (mortar) and zenazena (pestle) for quite some time.

I went outside to investigate and found what I can only describe as a cow crap like substance. It was foul looking and foul smelling. When they told me it was a type of food (for human ingestion) I couldn’t resist telling them my initial assumption—payback for thinking my no-bake cookies were cow patties. (I assure you that they found this as funny as I did!) Based on the fact that we do a lot with cow crap around here, the act of pounding it with the mookacha and zenazena didn’t seem that far outside the realm of reason. Well, 15 minutes later the pounding process was complete and I was called back outside to sample this treat that they call NUUG. I seriously considered passing on this “opportunity,” but in an effort to live by my mantra of “carpe diem” and “what doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger,” I stuck my spoon in. I will admit that it wasn’t nearly as bad as my vivid imagination had predicted (kind of like a very bitter peanut butter), but the texture was atrocious. In my book, definitely NOT a treat. I’d much prefer an OREO and a tall glass of skim milk with ice!

And as for the other two edible surprises, let’s just say that I’ve added two new cow parts to a growing list of things that I never knew were fit for human consumption. I walked out back one morning to find Genet and Hannah preparing lunch. I was hoping it was the dog’s lunch, but no such luck. Now I know people who consider cow’s tongue a delicacy, I just don’t happen to be one of them. And watching this preparation wasn’t going to make me a believer. The other “treat”—cow stomach. I was a good sport and sampled both (neither of which tasted like CHICKEN!), but I don’t plan to do it again. I think there are some things that you just have to grow up eating…slowly training taste bud by taste bud. My taste buds, however, are well past the training stage and are just not willing to accept cow stomach as a viable food source!

Food and one’s perspective on food is truly a fascinating aspect of cultural exchange. Just being willing to sample Ethiopian foods has taught me so much about this culture and people. I also know that my willingness to try their traditional foods have earned me their respect and acceptance. I don’t have to love it; I just have to try it!


Preparing to try NUUG.


Still alive and not gagging….that’s a good sign.


Hannah having a little fun with the cow stomach. Oh, just for clarification. This is not eaten raw. Thankgoodness!


Hannah and Genet cutting up the parts while Ava appears to be thoroughly bored by the entire process.


Yum—cow tongue! (two words that should never be used together)