Thursday, November 13, 2008

You, You, You!

Ethiopia has a reputation for bold children who love to chant “you, you, you” and “you, money” to any foreigner who happens to cross their path. One child chanting this once on one-day is not a problem. But 50+ children chanting this everyday, everywhere one goes is exhausting and annoying. I have no idea how the “you, you, you” got started, but it is seemingly here to stay. I, however, am on a personal mission to eradicate this from my town. It’s an uphill battle and I’m not sure that I’m making any progress but I have found some tactics that at least have a little bit of carryover.

I have realized that the camera is a powerful tool as is verbal recognition. When I walk the familiar route to town and cross paths with kids who have seen me a thousand times before and yet still cry out “you, you, you,” I don’t stop. But…as soon as I hear one of them call out my name or an appropriate greeting I stop and acknowledge that specific child and then coach the rest. And as for the camera, what a great motivator! I’m constantly asked to take photos. The kids have no desire for a printed picture, but desire the instant gratification that digital cameras can provide. So, this has become a part of my “you, you, you” eradication program as well. Call me by name or address me properly and I’ll stop to take your picture. Below are some pictures of town kids who are gradually figuring out more appropriate ways to greet an unfamiliar farenji face…or at least mine anyways.





This is a group of little tykes with big voices. It has taken me weeks to be able to walk by their corner and not be met with astoundingly loud cries of “farenji” and “you, you, you!” I realized that for this little gang my farenji name was a bit challenging to remember so I adopted a habesha name…Tigist (which means patience…how appropriate, eh!). They have latched onto “Tigist”. Unfortunately, I don’t always remember that they are addressing me!