Thursday, November 20, 2008

Meskel

The Ethiopian calendar is chock full of Ethiopian orthodox holidays. Some I understand as they are the equivalent of our Christian holidays, others are unfamiliar. The holiday known as Meskel celebrates the finding of the true cross. Legend has it that a piece of the True Cross (the cross on which Jesus was crucified) was brought to Ethiopia in the 14th century and stashed away in the Gishen monastery. Whether fable or fact, the event is celebrated every year on September 17th (Ethiopian calendar). For me and about 4,000 other souls the festivities began on the eve of Meskel with a big gathering in the town square. I was told that the event would consist of lighting a large demere (bonfire). I was not told that I would give up what felt like a year of my life waiting for the bonfire to begin. It had slipped my mind that this was an Ethiopian orthodox holiday and therefore the requisite prayers, chants, and dances would have to come first. After nearly 2 hours of standing shoulder to sweaty shoulder and experiencing a moment of panic while half of the crowd began to stampede (a very large OX decided to infiltrate the crowd), the bonfire was lit. Had I only had a box of graham crackers, a bag of marshmallows, and a Hershey chocolate bar I would have truly been a happy camper.

Saturday, the actual day of Meskel, began for me far earlier than I desired or anticipated. At 6am, I awoke to Hapti pounding on my bedroom window and yelling, “come.” I tried to play possum, but he wasn’t fooled. So…I grabbed my glasses, threw a jacket over my PJs, plastered an “I couldn’t be happier to be outside in the cold at 6am” smile on my face and set out to see what the commotion was all about. As it turns out, it is tradition to have a family bonfire the morning of Meskel, drink bunna, and yes….kill yet another unsuspecting sheep.


Gathered in the town square, I not so patiently wait for the bonfire.


Hapti, Tambarat and I attended the Meskel eve event



The demere (bonfire) was quite beautiful.


Our 6am group shot


Aselef prepares her bunna ceremony in the yard


I’m hoping this is the last of Little Bo Peep’s lost sheep or at least the last Ethiopian holiday for a while.