Monday, November 3, 2008

Enkutatash—Part II

Oh…my New Year celebration isn’t over yet!!! After eating a full meal at Gigi’s parent’s home, we walked around the corner to Tadeseh’s home and repeated the process step for step. And then, we traipsed down the road a bit (not far enough to burn the calories from 2 full meals or to generate any sort of hunger) and, yes, went through the entire process again…hand washing, appetizer, fried sheep (or raw if you would prefer), hand washing, popcorn, and bunna. My gut was full to bursting, and yet refusing to eat is commensurate with a slap in the face. So…I ate. I did put my foot down when the plate of raw liver appeared. No way…no how. For Getachew’s two young girls and Gigi’s Mom, they were perfectly fine with this as they had no desire to share.

For me, Ethiopian New Year was a day full of surprises…interesting food…and fabulous hospitality. Whether the feast is meager or plentiful, the adage “what’s mine is yours” is something that all Ethiopians hold dear. Today was no exception.




Me and my dear friend Gigi



Amela, Simegne, Gigi, and Yimegne

I love the Ethiopian tradition of hand washing. Due to the lack of running water in most households, I’m sure this custom was born out of necessity, but I think there is something special about helping to wash each other’s hands.

I’ve never tried to teach a 4 year old how to crochet, but Yemisirech was bound and determined to try.

No…this isn’t a kool-aid mustache on Yemisirech, but something I’ve coined “liver lips”














On our way to house #3. Gigi (far left) and Yemegne (next to me) our wearing the traditional “Habesha camis.” Many of the women continue to wear the traditional dress on special occasions, but I see very few men who sport their traditional outfit.