Friday, September 26, 2008

Lalibela Part II (The People)

I loved the people of Lalibela. One would think that with the number of tourists that traipse through their town every year they would be distant and exhausted by yet another “bright-skinned” face. But this was far from true. I also don’t know if my experience was different from that of the everyday tourist because I went out of my way to not act like one. People were astounded when I greeted them in Amharic. In fact after only a day in town, I would pass people I had never met before and hear them say to their friends, “she speaks Amharic.” I guess news of this Amharic speaking farenji traveled like lightening. Anyways, I found the people of Lalibela to be warm, friendly, and extremely generous.

As Tammy and I were leaving the first church complex, we were approached by a group of young children selling handmade leather cross necklaces. I politely replied (in Amharic) that I wasn’t interested in buying anything. I then spent a few minutes talking with them, introducing myself, asking about school, etc. As I walked away, I heard one of the girls call out my name. I stopped as she raced up and gifted me with the very same necklace that she was trying to sell. Now that may not seem like much to you, but this is their livelihood and the fact that she was willing to just give it to me was humbling. I tried to refuse, but that is like trying to remove gum that is stuck to the bottom of your shoe…IMPOSSIBLE! I kindly thanked her and promised to send her a photo. Tammy and I began to walk away (again) and within minutes we heard them yelling my name. I turned around to discover that they had a second necklace for Tammy. How sweet is that!




This is a traditional 2-story circular home (known as a “tukul”) that is unique to Lalibela



Being gifted with a handmade leather cross necklace.














I just love this picture that Tammy captured. I think it captures the tranquility and peacefulness that could be felt throughout Lalibela




This lady wanted to pose with her prayer stick.