Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tseyion’s 1st Birthday

Tseyion is the daughter of my Amharic language tutor, Belete. One evening I received a call from Belete that was extremely short and sweet. It was comprised of three words…”come over now.” So…I went and discovered that I had been “invited” to attend Tseyion’s 1st birthday party.

It was fun to see how birthdays are celebrated in Ethiopia. There is no birthday cake dripping with frosting, but instead a platter of sweetened bread, popcorn, oranges, bananas, and hard candies that is then adorned with a couple of candles. Tseyion could have cared less about the bread and fruit, but was all about the candy. It’s safe to say that she consumed at least a cavity’s worth of treats. I introduced a bit of American birthday culture by teaching everyone to sing “happy birthday.” Thank goodness they were all exceptional students because nobody should have to endure me singing a solo!



The birthday girl




Belete with his wife, Hannah, and their children…Tseyion and Yordanis