Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Road Less Traveled

Robert Frost penned the line “…two roads diverged in a wood and I--I took the one less traveled by.” He penned the line, but I’m living it. April 8 marks the day that I will reach the 6-month mark of traveling that lesser known road. No matter the road one chooses you can depend upon the fact that there will be scenic views…and ones you’d rather bypass with eyes closed…, interesting people and people that you wished had stayed on the interstate…, speed bumps, pot-holes and even the occasional break-down. I can say that in the figurative sense, I’ve experienced all of that and more. Despite the highs and the lows I’m still glad, however, that I took the exit ramp off of I-94 and started down that dirt track…destination unknown.

Now in the literal sense, I have also walked the road less traveled. Hapti and I set out for an early morning zor-zor (stroll) and found ourselves straying off the asphalt road onto a dirt road, which then transitioned to open fields and finally a cow-path. For me the destination was unknown, but I was told it would be beautiful. Despite the unrelenting sun, I trudged onward hoping that around the next bend would lay our reward. Hapti had not traveled this path in quite some time, so along the way we added to our group…local farmers who “knew the way”.

By the time we reached our destination we were a group of eight. And finally, around that last bend, we arrived at a magnificent overlook with a waterfall on one side and forever on the other side. We rested, snacked on trail mix (this was not a hit with the Ethiopians!), and soaked in the view. I love finding these hidden treasures of Ethiopia…even if it means that I get a little dirty and completely exhausted in the process!

Following this literal trail that was off the beaten path made me realize that on the road less traveled one often finds the greatest reward and fulfillment. Taking that first step away from the well-worn path can be intimidating and scary. But once you get started, it is addicting. One just never knows what might lie around that next bend.

















Hapti starts off down the road (perhaps in this case “path” is the more appropriate term) less traveled
















A rural family that we met along the way. They were gracious enough to allow the older boys to join us and show us the way.















A glimpse of the magnificent view.














Note to self…next time don’t share the trail mix. I didn’t know whether to cry or laugh when I realized that these guys were spitting out the dried cranberries and M&Ms! Seriously, I consider Trail Mix to be edible gold. It’s priceless!


















I have never been so completely filthy! I wore long pants and was still covered in dirt up past my knee. The entire way home, all I could think about was taking a shower. Ha! I returned home to find that we were without water and electricity! Go figure. Thankfully, I’ve turned into a boy scout and had enough water collected for a cold bucket bath. It never felt better.