Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Abi’s 4th Birthday

I have to admit that I thought I was as excited about Abi’s 4th birthday party as I anticipated he would be. I, however, grossly underestimated the enthusiasm that a 4 year old can generate!! As he came careening through my doorway on the day of his party, he was beside himself. I don’t think he had a clue what to do with all of his energy and joy.

For his 3rd birthday, I was pretty cautious. I didn’t want to do anything that would make Souwnet (his mother) feel displaced or discouraged by what she could or couldn’t provide. Since then, I’ve learned that Souwnet is happy for me to do whatever. With that knowledge I set out to make this birthday a memorable one…not over the top, just special.

I invited my friend Hannah and her little girl Tsion as well as Genet and Ava. Souwnet prepared the bunna and brought bread while I took care of the party hats, party favors, cake, candles, presents, and soda. We sang happy birthday, blew out candles and then I introduced the concept of party favors. I decided that having small gifts to give away would potentially thwart any meltdowns on the behalf of Abi’s little guests. What I didn’t take into account was Abi’s lack of understanding of the party favor. It was so cute to watch him pass out these little wrapped gifts to his friends with a look on his face that could only be interpreted as “what about me?” Truly priceless!

In an effort to respect cultural norms, Abi wielding a large knife, cut his own cake and then dove into his gifts. This year he didn’t have to be told that the gift was not the pretty paper!

Despite a broken glass, two minor meltdowns, one “didn’t make it to the shinta beyt in time” accident, and an unexpected afternoon rain the party was a raging success. The kids went home well sugared-up and the adults exhausted. Perhaps it’s a good thing that birthdays only come around once per year!

This is the picture that I captured on his second careening pass through the house. His excitement was contagious!

The revelers…pre-rain.

Abi wasn’t quite sure he wanted to give away his party favors.

Abi cuts, or rather stabs, his birthday cake.

Just a few trinkets and toys to ring in the special day. The biggest hit—his own set of keys. Lately he has taken to setting up my porch chairs, one in front of the other, and “driving” us on various adventures. He, however, prefers to drive from the backseat. Me too!

The birthday boy and me.

Abi and his mom, Souwnet.