Monday, August 17, 2009

Ava’s 1st Birthday

Wearing more eyeliner than a runway model and an oversized gown befitting a bride, Ava celebrated her first birthday in style. Between the yards of lace and satin, the unwieldy birthday hat and the large machete-like knife she was given to cut the birthday bread, she didn’t know what to think. And, neither did I. When the knife was brought out and she started waving it like a sparkler, I hesitated. Do I intervene and use this as a teachable moment on the hazards of sharp instruments and toddlers or do I photo document the moment? Obviously I chose the later. I figured nobody would believe this particular cultural idiosyncrasy without proof.

It’s never too early to learn self-sufficiency and how to wield a large, sharp, machete-like knife.

Ava and her mom, Genet.