Monday, December 15, 2008

The Monasteries of Lake Tana

For whatever reason, up until now I’ve never gotten around to taking the popular boat tour of the monasteries on Lake Tana. The stars however seemed to align on my last trip to Bahar Dar…I had a free day…an invitation…and a nice discount courtesy of my friends at a local hotel.

For 5 hours we putsed about the south end of Lake Tana hopping from one island or peninsula to the next. There is just something about wind, waves, and the buzz of a 15HP outboard motor that is soothing to the soul.

The monasteries themselves are rustic with elaborate interior paintings. We visited four, which was one too many for me…and this included the island monastery where, as a female visitor, I was told to sit at the dock and wait lest I lead the monks into temptation.

Our tour ended with a short detour to the outlet of the Nile where I incessantly scanned the waters for hippo. I’m a huge hippo fan, but I’m sad to report that the Lake Tana hippos continue to remain elusive. At this point I’m starting to doubt their existence!