Friday, April 3, 2009

Gaining Perspective

Sometimes one just needs to take a step back (or in this case ‘UP’) to gain a bit of perspective. Since I tend to go most everywhere on foot, it’s been hard to get a true sense of this place I call home. My view is either obstructed by my umbrella (which not only serves as a sun shield, but comes in handy as a people shield as well) or is limited due to the fact that my eyes tend to be focused on the ground to ensure that my next step isn’t the one that makes me even more of a human spectacle. On the rare occasion that I’m traveling through town via some sort of motorized transport, my thoughts are never on "the view" but rather on my safety. I often have a white-knuckled grip on the "roll-bar" of the bajaj while my friend Tambarat drives helter-skelter through town dodging large trucks, other bajajs, stray dogs, oblivious children, and the occasional wayward donkey.

That being said, I decided one Saturday morning to do something about this lack of perspective. I had previously noticed what looked to be the perfect vantage point on a hill opposite the town and I wasn’t disappointed. Now I truly understand why my lungs are always working double-time! There is hardly a level surface here!

A view of my town. In the lower left region of the picture you’ll notice the white spire of the town mosque. My neighborhood sits a little lower than the mosque and about a º mile to the left. I truly am at the bottom of town…which has turned out to be quite fortuitous as we are the last neighborhood to run out of water. Another orienting landmark in this picture is the Shebel Hotel, which is the white structure nearly at the center of the photo.
In the far left corner of this photo, you should be able to pick out the Shebel Hotel as a reference point. As you can see, this isn’t a small town, but actually one that is quite sprawling. I always want to laugh when the PC staff calls to notify us of a "village visit." Cute and catchy, but far from accurate.
If you haven’t figured it out by now, I love trees and am always on the lookout for a unique one.
Yes, another fun tree picture. With the town at my back, undulating hills extend for as far as the eye can see and eventually meet the feet of the Choke Mountain range.

Genet served as my exploring partner for the day.

Some people have asked, "why don’t you have more pictures of you on your blog? Well…hopefully this picture provides some insight. Basic photography skills are something that "we" are working on!

This University student has the right idea. What a perfect study spot!