Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rub-a-dub-dub

I’ve decided to take matters into my own hands and institute an “abi shower program.” His showers are few and far between and when they do occur are painful for him (freezing cold water is dredged up from the well long after the sun has gone down) and for me (he screams relentlessly!) Since he is spending a considerable amount of time with me and in my house, I’ve decided something needs to be done and it looks like I’m the one to do it.

I dare say that Abi probably had the most thorough shower of his life. Genet and I scrubbed him from top to bottom and everywhere in between….and he was so GOOD! He didn’t shed a tear, he didn’t scream, and he didn’t run away. I suspect, however, that this was probably due more to the warm water that I used than my expert technique!




















I used my entire arsenal of bathing equipment---foot scrubber, washcloth, soap, and shampoo to get Abi looking spiffy. His feet were a serious challenge! I knew my wound care and debridement skills would eventually come in handy, but I never dreamed it would be for bathing a 2 year old.



























































My new friend Tami (short term volunteer with WHO) served as my assistant for shower #2 and rewarded Abi for his stellar behavior with a piece of licorice. This kid loves all farenji food!