Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Exploring

It's comforting to know that one can escape from the hustle and bustle of town and find a little peace and quiet. This morning I awoke very early and was joined by Smith, Hapti, and Sintiyew (my landlady's daughter) on a journey that took us a little farther than we normally travel by foot. We headed south out of town and walked for an hour and half to find this little slice of heaven.

The views were breathtaking…as was the path that led down to an old Orthodox church. It was a bit challenging to enjoy the scenery while slipping and sliding down the skinny dirt trail. I was also slightly distracted by the lingering apprehension of how I was to make my way back out of the gorge—it was a bit steeper than I like. But…not to worry. It was possible (a PC line that gets said way too much and is now more of a joke than anything else)! When I eventually made it back up to the top, I was pleasantly surprised that Hapti had managed to snag us a free ride back to town. Fabulous! Our journey concluded with a stop at my landlord's "corst beyt" (breakfast house) for a spot of tea…just what one craves after hiking!



Young herders


Hapti and I



A birdseye view. The spot of blue is the roof of the orthodox church that we hiked down to see

the Corst Beyt…truly a hole in the wall